- Population: 331.918 (estimate July 1, 2015).
- Over 90% live in urban centers (200 or more). 65% of total population live in the Reykjavík capital area and around 80% in the south-west area in a 100KM radius from the capital.
- Religion: Evangelical Lutheran Lutheran National Church 74%, other Christian denominations 12% (Roman Catholic 4%), other 8%, outside religious denominations 6%
- Immigration: 8.4% of the population are immigrants (9.5% second generation included). Polish immigrants 37%, the largest group. Second largest groups are Lithuanias and Filipions 5.2% respectivly.
- Median age: women 38,1 yrs, men 39,9 yrs, total 37,5 yrs.
- Gender equality. Iceland prides itself in having scored the highest on the Global Gender Gap Index 2014 of the World Economic Forum.
- Fertility rate in Iceland is one of the highest in Europe. Total fertitlity rate: children born/women is 2.02 in (2015 estimate).
- Parental leave: Families are given nine months parental leave. Mothers and fathers get three months each, after which they get a further three months to share between them.
- Preschool - Kindergarten. Preschool is available to all children age 1-5 years. Most municipalities subsidize preschool fees - up to 80%. Over 90% of children age 1-5 attend preschool.
More facts and figures:
Government offices in Iceland:http://www.government.is/
Multi-culture: Multicultural Centre of Iceland